A very quick and simple drawstring bag for little gifts…. These can be themed with Christmas fabric or just use up some of your scraps and embellish with buttons, bells or bits and bobs of your choice! Once you've made one I'm quite sure you'll make some more!
You will need:
- 2 pieces of 9 ½” x 9 ½” contrasting fabric
- 60” (approx 1.5m) thin ribbon or chord
- Embellishments (for example bells, buttons etc)
- Thread to compliment colours of fabric
1. Place fabric squares right sides together. Sew ¼” seam around the square leaving a 3” gap to turn through. Backstitch at the beginning and end.
2. Trim corners to reduce bulk. Turn right side out and press.
3. Topstitch around the entire square approx 1/8” away from the edge (this will close the hole). I used green thread to match the green fabric but you could use a contrasting colour if you wish.
4. Select the fabric you want for the lining of the bag / ‘petals’ and position right side down (green).
5. Along each edge of the outer bag fabric (red spot), mark 3” from each corner with a removable pen.
6. Fold in each corner to meet each of the marks. Pin, then press.
7. Sew each flap ½” from the folded edge. Use a backstitch at the start and end.
8. Cut ribbon into 2 x 30” lengths. Attach a safety pin to one end of a length and thread through channels. Repeat in the opposite direction with the second piece. Knot ends at the desired length and trim ribbon. If you are adding a bell to the drawstring as I have, thread this on before tying off the ribbon.
9. Add any additional embellishments, pull ribbon, DONE!
To keep up to date with my latest tutorials, free patterns etc, please follow me on facebook - Victoria Carrington Designs and I will let you know when I add anything new! I would also love you to post any photos of your finished gift bags on my page so I can have a look! Thanks!